Keep Drive Spinning is an applet that makes sure that a connected drive never goes to sleep (that is, that it never spins down).
Normally this can be controlled using the Energy Saver preference pane in System Preferences, and that should be your first resort in dealing with the problem, rather than this or any other third party software. However, some external drives (e.g. Western Digital's MyBook drives) do not respect the System Preferences settings, so for them an alternative like this is needed.
This applet simply creates a launch agent that tells OS X to touch a hidden file on the selected drive more...
- 2.0.1 fixes a bug caused by a typographical error in version 2.0.
- A possible fix for drives falling asleep under OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
- Recompiled as a Cocoa application.
- Users on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and OS X 10.5 (Leopard) need to run the AppleScript source code directly. This source code is included, and only requires opening the file and then more...
- OS X 10.6 or later
- OS X 10.4 or later for plain AppleScript version