FutureBasic 5 builds Mac OS X Carbon applications (32-bit only) and command-line tools (32- and 64-bit). The FutureBasic 5 IDE consists of a syntax-aware editor, and a translator (FBtoC) that converts FB code into C code. The translation is then compiled with the clang system compilers.
Beginners can use a simplified run-time, ConsoleWindow, to write programs while not having to worry about things such as a graphical user interface (GUI) or printing. Experts can build standard Mac applications using both FB source, C and Objective-C
Support Note Technical support via the listserve (free)
- OSPanelOpen/OSPanelSave are new built-in FB keywords; they offer more options than files$ but don't use the Carbon framework
- FBHelp updated to include OSPanelOpen/OSPanelSave
- ‘redefined variable’ errors if both Util_FileDirectory.incl and Util_FileManager used in same project/file
- DEFSTR long incorrectly
- OS X 10.6 or later
- Xcode must be installed for access to the clang compiler; Xcode itself is not launched and not used while using FB.
- It is possible to install clang without installing Xcode but installing Xcode is going to be much easier, though Xcode use is not required.