... The big one!
Oxford's largest single volume English Dictionary and largest Thesaurus, plus sound all in one application-making this the largest Oxford English reference on ANY mobile platform.
The entire Oxford Dictionary of English, Second Edition (ODE) and the Oxford Thesaurus of English, Second Edition (OTE)-over $110 value in hardcopy. Plus 44,000 pre-recorded sound files from the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.
- full content of the unabridged texts
- complete appendicies and front matter
- unique three-way cross-referencing search
- real-time progressing look-up
- wildcard searches for unknown spellings and quizzes
- hyperlinking internally to appendices and between dictionary and thesaurus
- support for search from other applications
- bookmarks with editable notations
- automatic history
- complete offline use - no Internet connection is required
- The foremost single-volume authority on the English language - revised and updated to include the very latest vocabulary
- Hundreds of new words and senses derived from the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus, giving the most complete and accurate picture of the English language
The Oxford Dictionary of English is at the forefront of language research, focusing on English as it is used today, informed by the most up-to-date evidence from the largest language research programme in the world, including the 800-million-word Oxford English Corpus. This revised edition includes hundreds of brand-new words and senses, as well as up-to-date encyclopedic information, and extensive appendices covering topics such as countries, heads of state, and chemical elements.
- Authoritative coverage of more synonyms and antonyms than any other A-Z thesaurus
- New and up-to-date synonyms and senses, based on the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus
- Accessible and easy to use, with synonyms given in order of usefulness and key synonyms highlighted
- Lists including foreign words and phrases, and imitative words added to the completely revised centre section giving useful vocabulary on a broad range of topics, from clothes and food, to medicine and music
- Special Features: Choose the Right Word boxes that help distinguish between close synonyms, plus Word Links panels: look up the word 'coin' and find the link with 'numismatic'
The WordFinder section of word lists has been fully revised and reorganized with its own quick-reference index and includes topics from clothes and food, to medicine and music, with new lists of foreign words and phrases, archaic words, imitative words, British and American equivalents, and more. It is an invaluable resource to help broaden your vocabulary and provide quick answers to word puzzles and crossword clues.
Sound Files for the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
- over 44,000 pre-recorded soundfiles linked to headwords Features:
- high-quality recordings with British English pronunciations
- accurate coverage of different homographs, variant forms and inflections
- clear linking of sound files to phonetic information
- full information on parts of speech and subsenses covered