Savitar
Savitar 1.6.1
Your rating: Now say why...

(3) 3.9166666666666665

Connect to MUVE/MUD servers.   Shareware ($15.00)
Add to my Watch List
Email me when discounted
Savitaris an OS X "MUD Client" application which allows you to play games and interact with people on Internet MUDs, MOOs, Mucks, and MUVEs (Multi-user Virtual Environment) servers.
What's New
Version 1.6.1:
  • Added Gatekeeper code signing for OS X 10.7 and later.
Requirements
Intel, OS X 10.6.8 or later





MacUpdate - Savitar




  • Atlantis
    +4
Savitar User Discussion (Write a Review)
ver. 1.x:
(3)
Your rating: Now say why...
Overall:
(3)

sort: smiles | time
burypromote
+1


Anonymous reviewed on 23 Oct 2004
It's funny this updated, I just started mudding again earlier this week : )

This is a great program, although it is no Rapscallion. If rapscallion worked on X liked it worked on Classic... I would never use another mud client again.

Anyways, It'd be nice if this client had some more features, like the automove/walk : ) And also, if the window sizes would be saved in the world file, like, where the world window selector doohickey shows up, and all the screen size be saved there. That would be nice.
[Version 1.3.6]


burypromote

-1
~hell commented on 14 Jan 2004
This program has so many flaws that should simply not exist. For instance, if you press the space bar as your first typed character in the text entry box, it sends SOMETHING, i'm not sure what, to the world you're connected to. It shows up on the world I use as an invalid command. Once again, this is simply from pressing the spacebar as the very first key in the text edit box.

Additionally, it does not support background colours in text highlighting, for some reason.

The betas will nag you, even if you're registered, every time you open it, to update. We don't need to be harangued to update -- do you want to deter people from using your betas and finding bugs? These nag screens do that.

The regular expression support is bafflingly incorrect. The simplest regular expressions behave like some kind of Bizarro world regular expression, evaluating pieces of the wrong lines, weird results. Your guess is as good as mine. ANd these bugs have been in this program for ages.

Last of all, the interface is an atrocity. What is this? OS 9?

I'm a registered user simply because everything else out there is WORSE than this.

I wish the author would fix existing bugs before adding new features.
[Version 1.3.2]

3 Replies

burypromote
+1
Anonymous commented on 25 Jan 2004
> This program has so many flaws that should
> simply not exist.

Wow. I'll just move on.

> For instance, if you press
> the space bar as your first typed character in
> the text entry box, it sends SOMETHING, i'm
> not sure what, to the world you're connected > to. It shows up on the world I use as an
> invalid command. Once again, this is simply > from pressing the spacebar as the very first > key in the text edit box.

What is being sent? Did you make space an alias? Please send a bug report.

> Additionally, it does not support background
> colours in text highlighting, for some reason.

How so? When using ANSI codes?

> The betas will nag you, even if you're
> registered, every time you open it, to
> update. We don't need to be harangued to >
> update -- do you want to deter people from
> using your betas and finding bugs? These
> nag screens do that.

You are not required to reregister. The betas are menat to time out in 30 days, so that old copies of outdated Savitar betas will not clutter up the net when the final releases. The release notes clearly talk about this, and point out that if you are not comfortable with doing beta tests, you should not be using beta. (Savitar at this writing is not in beta).

>The regular expression support is bafflingly
> incorrect. The simplest regular expressions
> behave like some kind of Bizarro world
> regular expression, evaluating pieces of the
> wrong lines, weird results. Your guess is as
> good as mine. ANd these bugs have been in
> this program for ages.

Regular expression support was released less than a year ago. (Savitar is 7+ years old). Again, please file bug reports. I am very responsive to bug reports, as you may find out on Savitar's conference board (http://www.heynow.com/Savitar)

> Last of all, the interface is an atrocity. What
> is this? OS 9?

No, it's a PowerPlant application that's carbon compliant. It runs on Classic and Mac OS X.

> I'm a registered user simply because
> everything else out there is WORSE than this.

> I wish the author would fix existing bugs
> before adding new features. (1/14/2004,
> Version: 1.3.2)

Please file bug reports / feature requests if you wish to be effective. Savitar has been in bug maintance mode since 1.3.0 released. The chances of me stumbling on your "reports" here, on a review, are kinda slim.

Thank you

Jay Koutavas
Author of Savitar
burypromote
-1
Anonymous commented on 25 Jun 2004
> I'm a registered user simply because
> everything else out there is WORSE than this.

Try MudWalker

http://mudwalker.cubik.org
burypromote
-1
Anonymous commented on 12 Sep 2004
Heh. I tried Savitar. I use Cantrip, which is free, and works fine, despite a couple of bugs. It does more than Savitar would, and it messed up a lot less.
burypromote


Anonymous reviewed on 23 Jan 2003
Savitar has gotten real stable during late beta. Runs just as rock-solid as 1.1.4 does now.
[Version 1.2.4]


burypromote


Anonymous reviewed on 07 Jul 2002
Well, I really enjoyed the previous version of Savitar (1.1.4) but this one always crashes when I try to start it up (type 3 error), so I guess there is something wrong with it.
[Version 1.2b3]


There are currently no troubleshooting comments. If you are experiencing a problem with this app, please post a comment.

There are currently no ratings. Write a comment or review now.

Downloads:7,053
Version Downloads:39
Type:Games : Adventure
License:Shareware
Date:27 Oct 2013
Platform:Intel 32 / OS X
Price: $15.00
Overall (Version 1.x):
Features:
Ease of Use:
Value:
Stability:
Displaying 1-4 of 4
-
-
-
Please login or create a new
MacUpdate Member account
to use this feature
Watch Lists are available to
MacUpdate Desktop Members
Upgrade Now
Install with MacUpdate Desktop.
Save time moving files & cleaning
up space wasting archives.
Savitaris an OS X "MUD Client" application which allows you to play games and interact with people on Internet MUDs, MOOs, Mucks, and MUVEs (Multi-user Virtual Environment) servers.


- -