Mac OS Sierra features many new capabilities for Apple devices, and its public release date was September 20, 2016, from Apple.
It comes with apps such as Siri and iCloud Drive, as well as additional features and enhancements over earlier versions of the operating system.
Mac OS X Sierra is easy to use and is very familiar to Mac OS users. It adds voice commands via Siri, as well as cloud storage and enhanced space management
There are no major problems with Mac OS Sierra, and the requirements for this release are minimal.
It needs 2GB of RAM and 8GB of storage to run properly. Compatibility starts with late 2009 Macs and mid-2010 MacBooks.
There are some Mac OS Sierra problems and known issues, but these are minor.
Examples of these small issues include the unreliability of the Auto Unlock feature and some Siri glitches.
These were addressed with later releases of Mac OS and are no longer a problem. You can install Mac OS Sierra from MacUpdate if you would like to try it out or reinstall it.
Download Mac OS Sierra and access its features:
- Siri: This intelligent assistant was first featured on the desktop versions of the Mac OS in this release and brought with it a whole host of voice commands and capabilities that were previously limited to iOS devices.
- iCloud Drive: This feature enabled Mac OS users to unify their documents and data across all of their Apple-compatible products, allowing for better access and control.
- Optimized Storage: The cloud storage capabilities introduced in this release included automatic local storage clean up, which would remove local copies of data that had already been committed to the cloud.
- Auto Unlock: This feature allows users to unlock their user account by presenting a paired Apple Watch close to their system but requires a Mac from at least 2013 for compatibility.
- Universal Clipboard: This allows for clipboard data that is copied and pasted to be shared between iOS and Mac OS devices. This includes text, photos and video files.
- Tabs: This release saw the introduction of tabs within the operating system of Mac OS. This allows for a better navigational experience, similar to what people are accustomed to with multiple tabs in Safari and other internet browsers.
- Picture-in-Picture: If you are watching a video then it will remain in a window that follows your main view while you are navigating through the operating system.
Is Mac OS Sierra Still Available?
Yes Mac OS Sierra is still available to download as an update from the Mac App Store and as an installer as well. Some users have a few difficulties when trying to get it via the Mac App Store but there are workarounds. Your Mac must be from at least late 2009 for compatibility.
Can you Still Download Mac OS Sierra?
Yes, you can still download Mac OS Sierra from the Mac App Store and from a few other locations on the internet. The update is free and will allow you to upgrade older Macs to a newer, more feature-filled OS if supported by your hardware.
What is the latest version of Mac OS Sierra?
Each Mac OS release has its own version number. There is only one version of Mac OS Sierra, and that is version 10.12. Mac OS Sierra was improved upon with many subsequent releases. The next version of Mac OS Catalina is due to be released in 2019 and is version 10.15.
How to reinstall Mac OS Sierra?
There are several methods for doing this, but the easiest way is by downloading the Mac OS Sierra Installer via the Mac App Store and then running through the automated wizard. This will guide you through the entire process and is very simple to do.