Just purchased Music Tag 2.06 for Mac; quite disappointed.
1. App seems to choke trying to process more than 150-200 tracks; progress meter hangs for more than an hour at some amount over 130; may or may not progress complete when left for additional time; left one attempt to tag 299 tracks at 165 of 299 for more than two hours; was forced to cancel operation. Connection indicator was green.
2. While waiting for the progress meter to complete, user is unable to Save Changes to tracks where tag information has been downloaded or the user enters manual tag changes. Ridiculous that I can’t get work done while waiting.
3. The app does not display the original tags versus the newly downloaded proposed changes; this leaves the user with no easy way to decide if a new set of tags is desired. One must compare the item in Music Tag to the item in iTunes to validate acceptable changes. Ridiculous.
4. Similarly, If one chooses to revert, there is no preview of what the reversion will deliver.
5. The app’s Save Changes is all or nothing; if I don’t want to accept one tag, I must refuse all; the app should allow deselection of any proposed tag change, in addition to the current/proposed tag comparison (as noted above).
6. I must accept artwork with tags, apparently; again, the option to deselect any tag or artwork should be obvious and allowed.
7. There is no indication of size/quality of suggested artwork; I should be able to see the dimensions (300x300, 600x600, etc) & file type (PNG, TIFF, JPG, etc) so I can decide if I want to apply it; the ability to set a minimum/maximum size for default acceptance should also be an app feature. I don’t want an app installing shitty artwork that I have to manually review back in iTunes to see if it is of an acceptable size/quality.
8. An indicator should be very obvious to indicate if the artwork displayed is preexisting, or if you are trying to get the user to replace it with your suggestion; again, I don’t want to replace better artwork with shittier, low resolution art; yet if you have a better quality option, I want the option to replace. For this reason alone, the app is essentially unusable.
9. No keystroke is active to Save Changes on Selected Track(s); Menubar -> File -> Save Selection is always grayed out.
10. An option to Save Tags and Remove Selection should exist to save time; Command-Shift-S or Command-Option-S would follow Mac OS conventions.
11. Add Folder should be Command-Option-O as a companion to Add Files (Command-O)
12. No Keystroke exists to toggle through multiple match items; suggest Left/Right Arrow (or Command-Left/Right).
13. Command-W is a universal keystroke on Mac OS to ‘Close Window’; you’ve hijacked it to ‘Remove Selection’. Ludicrous. MacOS convention to remove an item from a list is Delete or Command-Delete or Command-Forward Delete (rare exception as MacBooks and Magic Keyboard lack a dedicated Fwd-Del key) or Command or Control-D. Why would you even choose Command-W? It doesn’t even make sense, phonetically.
14. “Select All Files” should have a keystroke; Mac OS convention has always been Command-A.
15. This should be obvious at this point, but Revert Changes should be — wait for it! — Command-R.
16. As such, Remove Tags should probably be Command-Option-R or Command-Shift-R, with a warning about inability to undo (with a ‘don’t warn me again’ checkbox).
17. Speaking of Undo, why is there no Undo? Command-Z, if you get around to it.
18. Show Tab Bar shows and hides a single tab with the same name as the main window; the ability to create additional tabs doesn’t exist; why is this here? But, hey, at least it has a keystroke!
19. App crashes instantly when choosing View -> Untagged, Partially Tagged, or Modified Files. Not very useful. Although I have twice been able to select a different view using the ‘Filter’ button above the list. (PS: ‘View’ does not match ‘Filter’ in terms of expectations.
20. If you can fix the View crashes, Mac OS conventions are to assign keystrokes to view options; typically Command-1 (2, 3, 4, etc.) are expected and useful.
21. The app should automatically select the next track available in the list upon removal of the current track. Instead the tag view is blank due to failure to make a new selection. Stupid and frustrating to be forced to mouse around all the time.
22. Upon saving a file with suggested artwork, the artwork disappears from he view window, confusing the user as to whether or not it actually saved the artwork. Please fix this bug/behavior.
23. If no changes are indicated in the tag view, such as after one applies the tag changes, the ‘Save Changes’ button should be grayed out. Otherwise the user is confused as to whether or not any tags were changed, or would be changed, or if they are merely reflecting what the tags actually are.
24. The app fails to remember and respect Window Size and Position between launches; it always opens to an inexplicable 787 by 575 in the middle of the screen, forcing the user to resize it to a useable size and desired position every.single. time., regardless of a crash or intentional Quit action.
25. No option exists to enlarge or reduce the displayed font sizes in column or tag views; makes for miserable work on a high-resolution setting, such as a 4K or 5K iMac. Consider adding an actual preferences window where fonts for views can be set; bonus points for allowing System-Wide defaults (Command + and Command - ) to work in the current view without opening the prefs panel.
26. An application prefs panel should host settings discussed above; minimum/maximum art size; acceptable/preferred file types; default tags to be preselected; etc.
27. The file action button bar doesn’t appear until you select a file; this I confusing to a novice user; it should be always visible, but grayed out with no track selected.
28. The Connection status is easily overlooked in the lower right corner; while not inappropriate, there is more than ample room in the action toolbar; moving it up there would allow the user to easily see and understand if progress is delayed or prevented due to limited or no connection.
29. The app seems to never return Composer or Genre; is this even enabled for download? If not, the app is woefully incomplete compared to competitors.
30. Given that the app fails to download all proposed tags, when the app can display ‘Partially Tagged’ without crashing, it — unsurprisingly — displays every track added to the list, as, gee, they are only partially tagged. Once again, a preference to exclude tracks from a ‘partially tagged’ list based on tags you’re not even going to attempt to fill (e.g., Grouping) would be useful.
31. Access to other tags, such as Description and Classical music tags should at least be there if you’re going to pose as a tag editor.
I would likely come up with more issues, but this is all I can tolerate for one evening. I’m unlikely to use this app again without substantial changes.