OK, this is the very first version, so it can't be perfect.
I just bought it today and tried it on some of my music out of iTunes, before messing up anything with a long-time stored music collection.
3 identified albums: Nina from Kellylee Evans; Arabia- The Essential Album (compilation); Big Blue Ball (a Real World compilation).
I do have right tags and covers for all of them.
You might tell me these albums aren't that easy but - hey - i don't need to pay for a piece of software that only identifies me the latest Miley Cyrus album!
Without any surprise, it goes to Gracenote DB, like many other music solutions. And i must say, authors and titles are pretty accurate. This is the good.
Very useful for a start.
The bad is…
- A folder "might" be an album.
The compilations are just ignored. The app finds references for each song, ignoring everything the whole stuff: the finders sorting, the existing tags…
For each song, it finds any album, even other compilations, but NEVER the actual compilation i do own. This makes different album tags, different dates, different covers… A real mess.
Infos may be accurate but these are not the infos i need.
- Different covers: now it's about anything that might seem to be a cover. Singer pictures, flyers, ads from the singer or someone who's supposed to be the singer, any format, any size. Let's say you always get an image, not a cover. Unusable.
- So you may want to change, and you can (please get that back to the good).
But… You can only change… Song per song: you just can't select multiple songs and change! Speaking of wasting time.
For your record, i just closed the software without changing anything. Tests sometimes saves your day.
- The baddest is still to come.
TidyMyMusic stores every cover into /Library/Application Support/TidyMyMusic/Artwork.
My little test got me exactly 169 covers! This means every single pictures and alternatives are permanently downloaded. Even for the Real World compilation - only one song was not tagged from the album - i got different pictures for each song, different pictures for the same album cover! Please dev, can you just download ONE picture when only one is needed?
Seriously, i got 111.5 MB of useless pictures permanently hidden on my Mac for 3 little albums (53 songs)…
Let me guess, if i try for all my iTunes songs (16,000+ songs): i'm gonna buy another storage disk for the pictures!
Sorry to be that sarcastic, but i can't use an application that is only accurate for authors and song titles.
- Folders sometimes indicates files are from one only action, let's say album. Why isn't it possible to tell the app?
- Existing tags might be a good start, too: let users tell the app!
- When getting a cover, please get a real cover not anything that covers.
- Please indicate the pictures sizes: i found pictures that were almost 2 MB. Not everybody want to get that size to store on their iDevices.
- When the job is done and everything is stored, please add a preference to DELETE all UNUSED downloaded pictures!
Now, i'm patiently waiting: i may change my mind on the next release if these things change. Hope to see it very soon!