GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows simulation of complex networks.
To allow complete simulations, GNS3 is strongly linked with:
- Dynamips, the core program that allows Cisco IOS emulation
- Dynagen, a text-based front-end for Dynamips
- Qemu, a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer
- GNS3 is an excellent complementary tool to real labs for network engineers, administrators and people wanting to pass certifications such as CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, CCIE, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIE
- Design of high quality and complex network topologies
- Emulation of many Cisco IOS router platforms, IPS, PIX and ASA firewalls, JunOS
- Simulation of simple Ethernet, ATM and Frame Relay switches
- Connection of the simulated network to the real world!
- Packet capture using Wireshark
- Important notice: users have to provide their own IOS/IPS/PIX/ASA/JunOS to use with GNS3