PlainPad is a clean editor for plain text files. With its extensive default settings, PlainPad offers a myriad of options to customize the writing environment to your own needs and preferences. Whether quick notes, ideas, tasks or extensive texts, PlainPad offers an environment for all types of writing to put your thoughts into words.
PlainPad offers extensive preference options for the editor. In addition to the font type, size, color and background color, the font color and background color for selected text can also be set. In addition, there are settings available to change the spacing between lines and edges as well as a special area to adjust the cursor.
PlainPad can open all simple text files without question, e.g. files with the extension css, csv, h, html, m, md, markdown, php, txt, swift, xml and many more.
With PlainPad it is possible to remove styles and formatting from texts without much effort.
- Copy PasteAdd the desired text to the pasteboard and paste it into PlainPad and the inserted text is freed from any formatting automatically.
- Import of text documents.Existing text documents with formatting can be easily imported into PlainPad. All formatting is removed so that only the plain text remains. PlainPad supports the import of the following known formats: txt, rtf, rtfd, html, doc, docx, odt, wordml, webarchive.
Other special functions
- Write without savingJust write something down and close the window again, but the save Dialogue disturbs? The save dialog can be switched off via the preferences of PlainPad.
- Always in the foregroundDoes the document always disappear behind other windows when working in other programs? With the activated "Always on top"-feature, the document is always at reach.
- Text encodingPlainPad can handle a variety of text encodings and can be set specifically which encoding should be used when opening, saving and creating files.
Support for various macOS technologies
- Versions? You decide!PlainPad supports the versions function of macOS, with which an earlier save point can be restored. However, this can also be deactivated via the preferences of PlainPad and the saving behavior of previous macOS versions can be provided.
- TabsThe tab function for PlainPad can be activated via the main menu under the item Window (macOS 10.12 or newer).
- Fullscreen ModePlainPad supports the fullscreen mode. In order not to have to edit the text across the entire width and height of the screen, the working area can be adjusted via the preferences in order to create a comfortable writing environment.