Aura is a virtual 5.1-channel surround sound card. Without Aura, if you hook your Mac up to an A/V receiver with a fibre-optic cable, you'll only get stereo. With Aura, you get full 5.1-channel surround sound.
- Real-time 6.1 or 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo encoding for transmission over S/PDIF optical fibre.
- Selectable 48kHz or 44.1kHz sampling rate.
- Virtual surround if no fibre-optic connection is present (great for developers who want to test support for multichannel audio in their software without needing extra hardware).
- Status bar app displays activity status.
- Level meter shows audio levels on active channels.
- Preference pane allows you to choose a fibre-optic output and also (if required) specify the fallback channel for virtual surround.
- Automatic software update.