Whirlwind WordSearch is a versatile word-search puzzle maker for Macintosh, tailored to create professional-looking word-search puzzles aimed at beginners or advanced puzzle solvers. You can choose from a number of built-in puzzle shapes, including circle, heart, diamond, bow-tie, pinwheel, and many more. The puzzles can range in size from as small as 4 letters across and down, all the way up to 50 by 50 letters.
You can save your word search puzzles for opening again later. When you re-open them, you can re-print them, or create new puzzle shapes and sizes from the same word list. You can also easily copy and paste the high-quality (PDF) puzzle and answer graphics into your own specialized word processing documents for re-printing in books, newsletters, or classroom handouts.
- Many supported languages/alphabets built-in besides English... You can create puzzles with words in French, Spanish, Swedish, German, Russian, Japanese (hiragana and katakana), Danish, Hungarian, Romanian, Turkish, Greek, Sanskrit, Dutch, Ukrainian, Catalan, Portuguese.
- Easily enter your word lists. Type them in or copy/paste a list from your word processor or the web.
- Choose from a wide variety of unique built-in shapes: Square, Rectangle, Circle, Heart, Diamond, Bow-tie, Pinwheel, X, UL-Wedge, LL-Wedge, UR-Wedge, LR-Wedge, Checkers, Square-hole, Donut, Right-Arrow, Left-Arrow, Up-Arrow, Down-Arrow, Plus Sign, Up-Triangle, Down-Triangle, Crescent, Cross, Onion Dome, 4-Clover, Square-Peg, Round-Hole, Mushroom, Pentagon, Hexagon, Octagon.
- Create puzzles ranging in size from 4-by-4 up to 50-by-50 letters (that's a lot of words!)
- Add an optional "secret message" into your puzzle, which will be inserted between your words as a secondary puzzle to solve.
- Add "hidden words" into your puzzle that are not in the word list or answer key (for adding copyrights or extra credit words.)
- Work without a net... You can run Whirlwind WordSearch anywhere... you never need an internet connection to create, save, and print your puzzles.
- Save your puzzle word list files, and open them again later to instantly create whole new puzzles, or share them with other Whirlwind WordSearch users.
- Tailor the display and printing options to suit a variety of audiences and needs.
- Supports Dark mode and Full-Screen mode.
- Includes a comprehensive User Guide that contains tutorials and tips and describes every option, getting you up-to-speed right away. Advanced features are explained, helping you create high-quality puzzles.
- Copy and resize the puzzles and answer keys (as PDF graphics or text) right into your own newsletters, worksheets, books, or other publications, or print them for handouts.
- A built-in spell-checker alerts you to any misspelled words in your word-list before you print.
- Create puzzles in upper or lower case, serif or sans-serif fonts.
- Whirlwind WordSearch checks your word list for any duplicate words.
- Whirlwind WordSearch thoroughly checks the final puzzle and removes any randomly-generated duplicates of your words.
- Whirlwind WordSearch also removes randomly-generated "naughty" words in your chosen language!
- Simply increase the difficulty slider from "Very Easy", to "Diabolically Difficult", and Whirlwind WordSearch will add many tricks into the puzzle for you. For example, if you choose an "easy" puzzle, it will only place your words across or down, and it will fill the rest of the puzzle with letters that are not in your words, making it easier to find the words. If you choose a harder puzzle, it will automatically start adding your words backwards and on diagonals. It will fill the rest of the puzzle with any letters (or only letters from your word list!) And on the hardest level, it will even sprinkle pieces of your own words into other puzzle locations as visual decoys.