basically, very nice idea! finally a modern approach to de-clutter my desktop. underlying principle reminds me of spring-loaded folders of older mac os.
regretfully, the software is still stuck in alpha stage. some impressions and thoughts:
- instead of using aliases or links to the original files/folders there has to be a physical folder "Desktop Groups" containing the different files/folders. you can set another location for this folder but you cannot have files/folders from different "real" locations in a group.
- i can't move files/folders into a folder contained in a group. i have to open the group, open the folder by double-clicking on it, and then copy/move my stuff in there. this is really annoying.
- groups pop up on mouse-over like drop-down menus. don't want that. i want to use the "enlarge"-button in the title bar.
- however, using the "enlarge"-button sometimes works, sometimes not.
- resizing a group window is a real pain. it eventually works (sometimes not), but you'll really have to point and shoot at a very small spot/corner.
- no separate color settings for different group title bars. it's all or nothing. this would be nice for peeps like me, using colors for different categories.
- only 2 settings in the prefs (use dock or menu bar icon, visibility option).
i guess, if they put more time and energy into this tool, it'll fly. currently, it's not even a beta version, imho. improve it, and i'll be happy to adjust my ratings.