Developer website: John A. Nairn
GEDitCOM II is a new genealogy application for OS X that sets the standard for Mac ease-of-use editing of genealogy files, for customization of the user experience, and for power features allowing the greatest access to your genealogical data. GEDitCOM II is a complete rewrite of the former GEDitCOM application.
GEDitCOM II is a rewritten version of GEDitCOM using Apple's Cocoa environment. It will greatly exceed user-interface features of GEDitCOM. It will retain the philosophy of GEDitCOM to be a customizable genealogy application for editing and viewing GEDCOM genealogy files. Users of GEDitCOM, should find GEDitCOM II easy to use. The installation will replace any prior installed beta versions of GEDitCOM II (if you have it in your main "Applications" folder); it will not affect the original GEDitCOM application (if you have that on your computer).
GEDitCOM II, as a new application, will not be a free update of GEDitCOM. It will be significantly discounted for current GEDitCOM users (with a few free copies for those who have been providing input during development).
- This update fixes issues found in El Capitan and Sierra. Note that version 2.2 was posted as prerelease only; this version is office release of those prereleases.
- With each new version of MacOS, Apple breaks (and I think deliberately), the method to check that applications are from recognized developers. These version should no longer give a warning that reviewer cannot be identified.
- All iPhoto interaction features and the "Media Browser" have been removed. The main reason is the Apple deleted iPhoto, replaced it with Photos, but applicaiton cannot interact with Photos (thanks Apple).
- GEDCOM key words in dates (such as ABT for "about", BET for "between") can be displayed in any case by setting date preferences, but should always be saved in GEDCOM standard as upper case. This version now saves in upper case. The display can still be any case you want.
- When exporting to a GEDCOM file, the header record in the file is automatically updated to version of GEDitCOM II that was used and the save file name is stored in a FILE tag.
- The extensions that have options to export a report to Pages (Ancestors Outline, Decendants Outline, and Descendants by Generations) have been updated to allow updates to Page 5 or newer (thanks to Nigel Garvey).
- Miscellaneous Bug Fixes:
- Tree window started crashing when closed in El Capitan - it is fixed.
- The "Find Field" in some attachment dialog boxes developed some unusual responses in El Captian. The user interface for the field is improved.
- El Capitan changed text trunctation mode to be very ugly. That mode has been removed to allow decent appearance again.
- "Send Tree Members to Album" could pick wrong album if album order was recently changed, but now fixed.
- GEDitCOM Editor recompiled to insure capatibility with OS X 10.11 El Capitan and macOS 10.12 Sierra.
- OS X 10.6 or later