I am looking for a document manager to manage the 1,600 or so PDFs and 500 or so text documents that I have but do not utilize because my Documents folder is such a mess. Yojimbo users have lots of good things to say about it so it was my first trial. Here are my findings using Yojimbo:
1. Multiple ways to get data into Yojimbo: Copy, Drag, Click, Print, Import, AppleScript.
2.Labels are easy to edit and apply, apparently only limited by the number of colors that you can distinguish.
3. Excellent search of comments, content, label, name, tag, or all.
4. Interface is visually pleasing.
5. Can store notes, bookmarks, images, passwords, serial numbers, and web archives.
6. Pairs with iPad (untested).
1. Cannot edit creation date.
2. Tagging documents is harder than it has to be.
3. Import size limited by the amount of RAM you have free - with 8GB of RAM and 100GB + of swap space I could only import 300 documets at a time.
4. Can only apply one label rather than Paperless' Category and Subcategory.
5. Cannot set external PDF viewer other than Preview.
6. Can view notes in TextEdit but not create or edit notes.
Not being able to set a creation date other than the import date and the unintuitive tagging process requiring numerous clicks are deal-breakers for me.