I purchased this software recently. Warning, it DOES NOT WORK for me on a PowerBook G4 1.25Ghz/1.25GB memory, OX X Tiger. And after over an hour on the phone w/ their tech support, still doesn't work and a week later they still haven't responded to my email and voicemail requests for a refund!
1. Froze and then crashed on first time through setup process - on the 'enter contact info' screen, the fields were blank and did not show my typed text. I could not select a State, the Next, Back, and Cancel buttons were non-responsive, and eventually the program crashed. When I relaunched I was able to complete the 'enter contact info' screen.
2. When I followed the instructions to install the Library and Plug-in files and restarted the program, I got an error that Gecko plug-in was installed twice. The program would not load. Since the only plug-in I installed was mbHTML.bundle, I deleted that plug-in and then was able to launch the program.
3. Did not synchronize my eBay info - Not one Listing imported, under any of the tabs (e.g., All Listing, Selling, etc.). All but 1 transaction shows $0.00 and a date of 00/00/00, and then when I later re-started the program, that 1 transaction that had actual correct data showed the same $0.00 and 00/00/00 and the text string 'False' for User ID and Item ID (where the correct info appeared before). Only myself and the contact with actual data was imported to Contacts, and then when I later re-started the program, the other contact disappeared. I cannot tell if the Feedback group successfully synchronized, because there is no Date column to sort on so that I can easily cross-compare with my.ebay.com website.
4. Could not import a standard CSV file of my inventory items - I exported my TurboLister inventory (90+ items) into a standard CSV file. I get the error 'Not enough stack space to complete the current method,' and this error continually repeats. I know that this file is readable by MS Excel, but I haven't tried yet to open and covert to Excel, and then try importing that format.
5. Questions did not fully synchronize - It appears as though the some of the fields synchronized ok, but the Title field is blank.
6. The program is repeatedly popping up an error dialog 'could not send email' and to check my email settings. I am certain that I entered in the same configuration info as I did to setup this email account in Mail.app. What also concerns me is, I did not attempt to send an email, so I do not know what email the program is attempting to send from my account without my knowledge nor approval.
I have a PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz with 1.25 GB memory, running OS X Tiger 10.4. I keep it running optimally. I run installations exclusively. In addition to the above problems, I generally observed MarketBlast to be unstable and slow (specifically in terms of program launch and synchronizing data). I am referring to MarketBlast 1.0