Developer website: Curtis L. Olson
FlightGear is an Open Source, cross-platform, flight simulator. The goal of the FlightGear project is to create a sophisticated flight-simulator framework for use in research or academic environments, for the development and pursuit of other interesting flight-simulation ideas, and as an end-user application.
The FlightGear base package includes only a few representative aircraft. Download more aircraft here.
Note: Now requires OS X 10.8 or later.
- detailed Carrier USS Harry Truman and escort group, with many animated elements, using experimental wave motion
- C++ versions of props.nas setValues/setChildren() Improve performance of Nasal properties access by implementing the setValues/setChildren props.nas functions in C++ 
- Multiple flight plans fixed and is now possible to be controlled from Nasal. See Nasal_Flightplan.
- Starting on carriers fixed
- Simple API to add add ons to FlightGear without the need to mess around with FGData/Nasal or FGHome/Nasal directories.
- Enabling of display lists for random vegetation provides a massive performance boost for random vegetation.
- More than 1000 screenshots now allowed
- New Mediterranean tree textures, new desert shrub textures
- Support for AI wake turbulence added. (a small code snippet needs to be added to the plane)
- Volumetric grass effect utilizing a geometry shader, based on work by Fernando Garcia Linan
- Helicopter rotor wash effect for volumetric grass and water shaders
- Consistent snow implementation for OSM roads and buildings
- Directionally visible car lights for the OSM traffic shader
- Realistic daytime-dependence of road traffic
- OS X 10.8 or later