BlueJ is an integrated Java environment specifically designed for introductory teaching.
- Fully integrated environment
- Graphical class structure display
- Graphical and textual editing
- Built-in editor, compiler, virtual machine, debugger, etc.
- Easy-to-use interface, ideal for beginners
- Interactive object creation
- Interactive object calls
- Interactive testing
- Incremental application development
Note: BlueJ 4 requires Java 8 (minimum 8u60) and JavaFX, and thus is currently unsupported on older Macs and on Raspberry Pi.
- Java programming
- Adds tabbed editors
- Adds automatic error-checking
- Adds display of multiple errors
- Has most of the BlueJ interface rewritten into JavaFX
- Provides some support for
- OS X 10.8.3 or later
- Java 8 or later