E-cognito is, in short, an text-to-ASCII entity translator. Type a string of text or a single character and click "Translate". E-cognito will then present you with the ASCII equivalent of your text. However, I originally created it with spam smashing in mind. I use this little app to translate mailto links to ASCII so that they are essentially hidden from address harvesting bots used by spammers. Although this technique doesn't end all spam, it does help reduce the volume.
- Added recent strings popup menu/combo box. This stores recently-encoded strings.
- Added auto-complete to 'Original Text' field, based on recently-encoded strings.
- Redesigned interface, brushed aluminum look.
- Removed 'C' (clear fields) button.
- Added 'Clear Fields' menu item, with keyboard shortcut.
- Added 'Clear Recent Strings' menu item, with keyboard shortcut.
Mac OS X 10.1 or later