Silk 2.0 on initial examination looks like it has some nice additional features but I do have some concerns about it.
- Cost: It is no longer free but $10. The fact that it is no longer free is not of as much concern as the fact that it is priced separately at $10. It seems as though this company has a habit of producing product will a single function and pricing them separately. If you were interested in a number of the companies products, buying them this way would boost the cost towards the $100 level. That is a lot of money to pay for a half a dozen or so utilities. Why not a utility with a number of functions, perhaps as an installer that is fairly priced at $20-$40. I just don't like being $.50 and dollared. They may be likeable utilities but price out individually for what you spend vs functionaly, I think they are expensive.
- Company Info: The company is privately owned and "based in Utah." Their website gives no phone numbers or mailing addresses, other than email. I would certainly be more confortable in giving them my money if I had a real physical address and phone number. What are they trying to hide from? How do I know that it is not a "here today, take my money, gone tommorrow" company?
- What is going to happen when the shortly due new OS X update is released? Will their utilities work; will they work; will they be necessary or useful? If they don't work will I be required to spend some more money to get them to work? None of this is addressed on their website. No upgrade policies, time period guarantees, etc. What if the product becomes useless 30-60 days after I buy it or is withdrawn from sale? Can I get my money back? What happens if this version "blows up" like the similar previous one that got released and then withdrawn after it "blew up." That one was free. However it has taken months since then for this version. What happens to my payment if this happens to follow the same route?
Thank you for your kind offer to upgrade and pay for a new version with extra features, but I think that I will respectively decline it, and what until it is field tested and the next verson of Mac OS X is released. Then I will make my decision. In the meantime I will continue to use the 1.1 version without the extra features but that I know works with my current system and is stable.