Developer website: Adrian Umpleby
OroborOSX is an X11 environment designed for use in rootless mode with XDarwin on Mac OS X. The source code is also available. Features include:
- X11 windows are interleaved with Aqua windows (the usual rootless XDarwin implementation brings all X11 windows in front when one is clicked);
- Clicking in a background window will only activate that window (rather than the click being sent through to make something else happen in that window);
- A list of X11 windows is available from the OS X Dock icon (and the Window menu in OSX10.1);
- New 'X11 application' icons can easily be created from the template script;
- X11 applications can be launched from the "Launch" menu;
- X11 applications can be launched by double-clicking on them;
- Completely self-contained package -it is much more 'Mac-like' in that it does not interfere in any way with any 'unixy stuff', so you can use it safely with any software downloaded by fink, for example.
Version 0.9 adds a much-improved internal version of XDarwin (with hardware 3D OpenGL, faster drawing, faster resizing, etc.); new 'presentation mode' (hides Menubar and Dock); new command-key-shortcut mode (no longer need to have the cursor in the menubar to use keyboard shortcuts); on-the-fly X11 keyboard switching; rules to set the default properties for classes of X11 windows; works with an installation of Apple's X11; works with OSX10.3 (multiple users and Expose); numerous other tweaks and fixes (see the version history for more details).
Mac OSX 10.1 or later, XFree86 4.0.3 or Apple's X11, libfreetype 6.3.