Just yesterday I discovered that the last version of Permute (1.3.8) still has some serious and confusing problems:
1. After successfully stitching together 6 WMV files (with VC-1 video & 64 Kbps WMA audio) to a single new WMV file (though the stitched file somehow ended up with 31.9 Kbps WMA), it would never again stitch together those same 6 files no matter what preset I used (multiple attempts with and without modifications using each of the following presets failed, despite that it worked fine the first time: WMV, MKV, Remux to both .mkv & .mov and Remux with Audio Conversion to both .mkv & .mov).
2. Using the Remux with Audio Conversion preset (to .mov & AC-3) on the same 6 WMV files mentioned above failed repeatedly, but finally yielded working files — with AAC audio! After fixing permissions and repairing my startup disk with Disk Utility and then rebuilding and replacing the root directory with DiskWarrior 4.4, I repeated these tests a second time to confirm that Permute was indeed creating AAC audio streams despite being set to make AC-3 streams (though it did remux the WMV’s VC-1 video streams correctly into the .mov containers).
3. Using the newly remuxed .mov files from #2 above (the ones that Permute made with VC-1 video and AAC audio despite being set to make AC-3 audio), I then used Permute’s WMV preset (set to copy both streams) — because every other preset threw errors — and again the “Stitch video files together” setting to make one big file, which unbelievably yielded a .wmv with MPEG-2 video and WMA v. 2 audio!!!
Later, using completely different .avi and .mkv source files, similarly bizarre results were obtained.
Attempts to stitch, remux and remux/audio convert the same above-mentioned source files using the $10 iFFmpeg 3.0.2 (using the ffmpeg 0.102 64-bit binary) each worked as expected with no anomalous/unexpected audio or video stream bitrates/formats or FFmpeg errors and all resulting files played flawlessly, so Permute’s problems are clearly not FFmpeg’s fault.
Having paid for Permute a long time ago, I have tested each new version only to discover that it’s getting more and more FUBAR. Nevertheless, I’ll try this new version (1.3.10) and hope for the best
[All conversions were performed on a Core2Duo 2.4 GHz Unibody MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM running OS 10.6.8. Selected Permute 1.3.8 conversion attempts using the same source files were again performed on a Core2Duo 2.16 GHz iMac with 3 GB of RAM also running OS 10.6.8 with equally puzzling results.]