Keep Drive Spinning ensures that a connected drive never goes to sleep (that is, that it never spins down).
Normally this can be controlled using the Energy Saver preference pane in System Preferences, and that should be your first resort in dealing with the problem, rather than this or any other third party software. However, some external drives (e.g. Western Digital's MyBook drives) do not respect the System Preferences settings, so for them an alternative like this is needed.
This applet simply creates a launch agent that tells OS X to update a hidden file on the selected drive once every minute so more...
- Configure multiple drives at once.
- Smarter detection of drives to offer to keep awake.
- "Let a drive sleep..." lists all configured drives, even if they are not currently connected.
- Better handling of drive names that include
>, and Unicode characters.
- A fix for drives falling asleep under OS X 10.10 more...
- OS X 10.6 or later
- OS X 10.4 or later for plain AppleScript version