I'm very happy to see that someone's taking on the task of reinstating SoundApp for OS X!
I know that this is in early development, but I ran it through a quick evaluation and these were the things that I stumbled across. I will not put a review score on this app, in its current state, as I think SoundApp Reborn is in a rather unfinished state. The following list is meant as constructive criticism, hoping that it might help tracking down things that, if fixed, might improve things in SoundApp Reborn.
- Doesn't allow drag & drop of file(s) onto the application icon.
- Repeat loops the sounds with a small pause glitch between the end and beginning
- The Info window persists popping up when double-clicking a file in the list (would be nice to be able to choose whether or not to see this, like in QuickTime)
- Help menu doesn't lead to a help file (frequently debated issue, but personally I think it shouldn't be there if there is no help)
- Navigation is very quirky; when you are in the list (without having the Info window opened) and press Up or Down arrow keys, you select the next/previous file in the list (which is all fine), but when you've pressed Space, to preview a sound (and again, when the Info window automatically pops open), the Up and Down arror keys doesn't maintain their original function (select previous/next sound)
- Bug: It seems to mess with keyboard input (at least on my machine). When I'm using TextMate, TextEdit or any other program with some kind of text input field it gets impossible to input anything! This issue occurs when having a loop playing in SoundApp Reborn, and exactly when the starts over again.
- This is just a subjective opinion: The icon doesn't necessarily have to be all "OS 9-esque". I can see why it's been made so as to resemble how the original SoundApp was looking (which isn't bad), but it looks a bit hastily created and would benefit from some more afterthought and polish.