Glad I found this! It seems to be working well with my Verizon Palm Centro tethered to Mac OS 10.5.6.
The Verizon EV-DO script that comes with 10.5.6 truly sux0rz and is at least part of what's responsible for Bluetooth tether lock-ups (requiring a hard restart with the power key).
I've only been using this script for a day but it seems to establish the connection more quickly and reliably. Performance-wise it may be giving me higher throughput, or may not, but it seems to try harder.
If anyone has any cure for the pppd hangs using Mac OS X combined with Bluetooth EV-DO modem tethering, I'd sure like to hear about them. Symptom: the status in the menu bar displays "Disconnecting" endlessly, or, occasionally "Connecting" endlessly. Sometimes the menu bar will freeze followed by the entire UI. All of those situations require a reboot, whether via the Apple menu or power button.
I've tried a recommended 3rd party procedure involving unloading the bluetooth i/o module and restarting the blued service, but unlike the reports that accompanied that procedure, the dialup cu devices aren't recreated when blued restarts. So that doesn't work.
But, anyway, this may help.
Thank you again!
If there are any modifications that will help specifically with the Centro/Verizon combo I'd be all over those too. In my area (San Francisco) Verizon has the best coverage, sometimes by a large margin. I'd try DIY but I'd have to understand the EV-DO arcana first, which is all new to me.