Developer website: The Phex Team
Phex is a file sharing program running on the Gnutella Network.
- Phex is a FREE of spyware and adware - Phex never containd any kind of spyware, adware or any other kind of bundled software.
- Multi-plattform support - Whether you use MAC OS X, Linux, Solaris, or Windows Phex is able to run on them all. All you need is a operation system that offers a Java 1.4 Runtime Environment.
- Multi-source downloads (Swarming & PFS) - Often the file you like to download is available on several different hosts. Phex will request different segments of the file from each host in parallel. After successfully downloading a segment Phex will merge it with the other segments of that file. This results in a much higher download speed. If a host is too slow the segment is split during download and given to another host. To make sure you never run out of hosts Phex is able to find new download hosts by itself with the automatic search functionality and features the Download Mesh. You can choose for each download whether the segments should be chosen according to their availability (rarest first, BitTorrent-Style), their place in the file (earlier segments first, useful for previewing the file) or for previewing (the first 10MB according to their place in the file, after that according to their availability).
- Advanced configuration options - Phex offers very advanced configuration options. Much more than many other clients can offer. Especially advanced user can configure Phex according to their needs and are able to tune and see the effect of different settings.
- Passive searching and snooping for files - With the passive search functionality Phex is able to constantly monitor the traffic that goes through the network and collect search results that match your passive search term. Also Phex snoops the traffic for new download candidates you need to finish your downloads faster. This type of searching is useful for longtime monitoring of available files on the network.
- Multiple searches.
- Ultrapeer and compression technology for reduced bandwidth.
- Integrated chat.
- Browse host support.
- Bitzi metadata lookup.
- MAGMA support.
This is a bug fix release to solve the bootstrapping problems some people report recently.
Mac OS X 10.4 or later