The results obtained from the NLM are saved in a separate section at the end of the notebook, with a page created for each database containing information on the search topic. The information contained in each of these pages can be loaded into the notebook by using the "checkbox" mechanism provided within each one.
1. A new NoteTaker notebook is created for each new search.
2. Since collecting all the results may take a while (depending upon the speed of your computer and your Internet connection), the notebook returns to the original search page at the end of the search to let you know the process is complete.
3. There will be a brief pause as each section is created, so as to allow the notebook to load the corresponding Clusty or NLM page.
4. Clusty's defaults (10 results per page, 10 clusters displayed) will yield notebooks of around 100 pages in length. Setting the preferences to their maximum (100 results per page, all clusters displayed) will yield notebooks of around 1000 pages in length. These settings can be adjusted by clicking on the "Preferences" link in any Clusty page in the notebook.
5. Even though the default settings are usually fine for basic searches, it is worthwhile exploring the "Limits/Settings" option available on any of the NLM pages - it allows for considerable fine-tuning of the results obtained from the NLM.6. The NLM server will occasionally not respond to a search, fail to load a search page, or display an error message. If this happens, simply wait a few minutes and try running the search again. A similar response is also sometimes seen from Clusty - again, running the search a second time usually clears up the problem.
Subscribe for our newsletter with best Mac offers from MacUpdate.