Note: newslite is no longer under development, and it is no longer available for sale.
is a UNIX/LINUX command line tool to download from newsgroups and decode multipart and monopart yENC or UU encoded files.
There already exist a lot of programs like that. I built this new one to fulfill the following objectives:
- Resource efficiency in terms of CPU usage and memory so that it could be run on low-end computers
- Build "title list", in order to ease group content analysis
- Robustness to news server connection loss
At this point in time, newslite only supports yEnc encoded binaries, the most widely used format for binary posting. Any attempt to download any other kind of encoded files will fail.
newslite main features:
- Threads XOVER command for faster group message header retrieval
- Threads file download for faster download
- Builds full list of groups hosted by the server
- Resumes download session in case of connection loss program interruption
- Makes use of configuration file to simplify user command interface
- Builds "title" and "file" lists from article headers for quicker group content analysis
- Decodes yEnc and UU multi and mono-part encoded files
- supports NZB file processing
- allows connection to news server through any TCP port (i.e. not only using NNTP 119)