did a superb job with its new Fast User Switching feature in Panther (Mac OS X 10.3), but for users with long names, the associated menu item is a terrible waste of precious Menu Bar real estate.
- Access the feature through a compact, icon-sized Menu Bar icon.
- Closely matches the performance and style of the Apple-provided menu, but without all the bulk.
- In fact, it even corrects some problems with Apple's menu by eliminating certain "daemon" users which shouldn't show up in the list, and by improving the alignment of user icons in the menu.
- WinSwitch gives you rapid access to the Accounts preference pane, and is completely customizable, allowing you to choose from six different menu bar styles: Standard icon, User picture, Full username, Short username, First name only, and Initials.
- You can also optionally display the root user, define a hot key to take you back to the login window, and adjust the size of your user pictures both in the menu bar and inside the menu itself.
- For power users, WinSwitch can automatically run applications and scripts of your choosing whenever you switch in or switch out.