Quicksilver/Rainbow is by far one of the most ambitious, advanced, and versatile color effects iMovie plug-in you'll come across. Convert your movie clip to Quicksilver, give it psychedelic colors, make it a warm autumn afternoon, a cold surreal dream, or simply a b&w clip with varying photo paper sensitivity. The possibilities are endless, and, since the plug-in supports live preview, fun to explore.
At it's heart is a color processor that modifies a pixel's color according to it's brightness. This in itself is not much to write home about. The plug-in's magic lies in the following abilities:
- instead of assigning a fixed color for each brightness value, you can tell the plug-in to calculate a color dissolve between the two colors in the table
- you can dynamically change the number of colors in the table
- you can assign the colors in the table yourself
- you can set the Îbandwidth¹ of the color transition, which amounts to setting the photo paper¹s sensitivity
We have provided twenty pre-sets that allow you to quickly set the plug to achieve some really cool color effects, including
- quicksilver (turns frame into something that looks like animated
- rainbow (andy warhol would be proud - psychedelic colors at their best)
- terminator (a rhapsody in black, white, and red)
- golden autumn (turns even the coldest clip into heart-warming colors)
and many more.
What should I use it for?
- special effects (quicksilver / mercury, gold)
- color theme
- surreal theme
- psychedelic theme
- hard contrast
- use only 2 to 6 colors / grays
- monochrome post-processing with direct control over the film¹s sensitivity