I set this as an e-mail to the company a few days ago. I got an acknowledgment that it was received and I would get a response but no response as yet. I indicated I would post my comments if the product appeared on MacUpdate:
When I started using PTHClock it was indicated that updates to it and Pasteboard would always be free. While I understand that they no longer exist, that does not mean I am necessarily interested in other menu products or wish to be forced to purchased products I don't want, or not interested in order to keep up to date with the products I want. But by bundling the successors to these two packages into your "You Control" product that is exactly what you have done.
Besides, I find $50-$60 rather expensive as an introductory price for bundling together what is historically shareware from a brand new company who's viability and therefore support is yet to be tested and proven. Given the economy, the company may not be around in a year and customers may be out $50 and without support or any source of updates. At least with shareware their investment is not invested a single source for all of their menu items, but spread around and the odds are that not all of those sources will disappear and that they risk their total investment. Wouldn't an introductory price within a limited time period as an update charge for existing PTH users would have been fair and more palatable?
I think it is worthwhile here for me to go into some detail on what I feel what would have been fair and reasonable to do for PTH users given their philosophy. If asked, I would have suggested releasing the patched version of the products (The patch works fine with Panther), indicating that PTH was out of business and the use of the patched version was entirely at the users own risk and came with no support whatsoever. I would have provide it for free indicting it was the last free update. I would have offered "You Control" as an alternative at a discount in the $30 range for a limited period of time to PTH users.
So, given the cost, the bundling philosophy, and my concerns about company viability, I will wait a year and see what happens. I no longer feel the need to be the "first on the block" with a brand new product and a brand new company and assume that kind of risk when their are plenty of similar proven products out there that do the same thing. This may be a very good product and have good support, but I am not willing to take that risk right now, especially in this economy. I have been burnt too many times by similar companies. If you are around at the next MacWorld, maybe I will take the plunge - if your offer best product available for the money.
I have not downloaded or tried this product.