XPostFacto... While Apple has limited its support for Mac OS X to those machines that originally came with a G3 or G4 processor, it is possible to install Mac OS X on some earlier machines. The unsupported machines that work now are the 7300, 7500, 7600, 8500, 8600, 9500 and 9600, as well the clones that were based on one of these systems (the Umax S900 and J700, and the Power Computing PowerWave and PowerTower Pro). The original processors in these machines will work (with the exception of the 7500, which requires a processor upgrade). G3 or G4 upgrade cards work as well. Other models that use the PCI architecture may be made to work more...
- Supports Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)!
- Runs on Mac OS 9.x or 10.2 through 10.4.
- Will install Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.4.
- Works with "New World" machines that Apple dropped support for in 10.4 (such as the original iMac, original iBook, and the Lombard Powerbook).
- Avoids the mis-application of the 8 GB limit on "Old World" machines by the Mac OS X Installer.
RequirementsMac OS X 10.1 or later
Similar SoftwareOpen Comparison
Suggest Other Similar Software