Keep Drive Spinning ensures that a connected drive never goes to sleep (that is, that it never spins down).
Normally this can be controlled using the Energy Saver preference pane in System Preferences, and that should be your first resort in dealing with the problem, rather than this or any other third party software. However, some external drives do not respect the System Preferences settings, so for them an alternative like this is needed.
This applet simply creates a launch agent that tells OS X to update a hidden file on the selected drive once every minute so that the drive stays awake.
- Fixes a bug with letting a drive sleep if its name did not match with its POSIX path.
- If the necessary hidden file on a drive is present but locked, the setup process automatically detects and fixes the problem.
- Adds a troubleshooting guide and diagnostic script to help those with troublesome drives.
- Expanded and improved reporting of errors and possible more...
- OS X 10.6 or later
- OS X 10.4 or later for plain AppleScript version