Wireshark is one of the world's foremost network protocol analyzers, and is the standard in many parts of the industry. It is the continuation of a project that started in 1998. Hundreds of developers around the world have contributed to it, and it it still under active development.
Wireshark has a rich feature set which includes the following:
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Multi-interface: Along with a standard GUI, Wireshark includes TShark, a text-mode analyzer which is useful for remote more...
- "On-the-wire" packet lengths are limited to 65535 bytes
- "Follow TCP Stream" shows only the first HTTP request and response
- Files with pcap-ng Simple Packet Blocks can't be read
- MPLS-over-PPP isn't recognized
- Expert information is now filterable when the new more...